About Me

My photo
WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW SITE!!! http://www.mommyhood-shivonne-costa.squarespace.com/ As of June 18, 2015, this is our new location. Please come join us!! I started blogging the week I got married. I thought it would be nice to blog the full first year, you know, to cherish those memories and share them with my family and friends. Little did I know, it was going to be my greatest coping skill for the craziness that comes with marriage! I found writing to be a fantastic way to reframe an ugly marital spat into a humorous event, allowing me to smile at the situation by the end of the post. And now, I am honored to share my struggles and joys of fostering, adopting, birthing, and raising 4 beautiful children. It's my hope that others gain laughter and new ways to see their own frustrating life situation through my writing. Because I love to write! PS, look for me on Facebook - "Mommyhood-Shivonne Costa"

Monday, June 3, 2013

Kodak Moments

     Sometimes it seems that my life consists of one major life event followed by another. Court hearings, adoption meetings, wedding planning with a friend, church duties, gymnastics recitals, doctor's appointments, birthday parties... I spend so much time thinking of "the next thing" that I neglect to take in the daily breaths that I need, recognize the everyday events that take place, and celebrate the momentous occasions that I should have the camera ready for. Sadly, I am usually without my camera. And I'm often too busy to notice a Kodak moment when I see one. This became dreadfully apparent when I began making scrapbooks for the kids and I realized that I had not been the photographer of more than a  handful of those pictures.... nor was I in many of them. What the crap, I thought! Someone else is living my life while I'm busy.... living my life! 
     I'll admit, I was a wee bit salty at this realization. Sure, I'm there for the major events... I take off work for most court hearings, and I was there cheering like a lunatic for at least half of Cameron's soccer games, and applauding with gusto at both of Taylor's recitals. But what about the mornings (most mornings) I neglect Tay's hair for school because I'm running late for work, or the Family Fun days she has in her classroom each month where all the other mothers come in for a mini party? And what about Cam's field trips that I specifically joined the PTO so I could attend (PS, I only made it to one PTO meeting... but let's be honest, those things are a drag anyways)? Ashamed of my inability to be super-woman, I decided that my life simply doesn't allow for me to partake in every event, so I need to find a way to capture these moments using creativity (ooooo, the C word). So, in honor of photo companies everywhere, I want to use this post to take a moment and log mental snapshots of the past week. The winner of this week's photo shoot is none other than my very own Baby Isaac.
     Before getting into the mundane, I do want to acknowledge a major life event for us regarding the Little Fella. We had a court hearing last week in which the judge (in all his wisdom and loveliness) granted us a goal change of adoption! This means that our adoption workers will begin filing papers to terminate parental rights and granting us the ability to adopt Isaac after termination occurs. Being one step closer to keeping our baby feels equal parts like an elephant sitting on my chest and being as free as a bird to fly. But I will NOT let myself dwell on all of the "what ifs" that travel through the round-a-bout that is now my mind.
     Onward.... life event #1) Isaac got his first tooth! I'll be darned if the kid will let me get a picture of it (the one time I have my camera, too!), but I can assure you, it's in there! Smack dab in the bottom front of his mouth has emerged a little hippo tooth... his drooly grin flashing its cuteness during every moment except for when I pick up my camera to grab a shot. So for now, I take a mental picture. (Click.)
     Life event #2) Isaac had his first topple off of the bed. This was completely my fault... and I am so grateful that my husband and baby both seem to have forgiven me for my awfulness. The scenario was this: he was almost sleeping on my king-size bed. My husband called me down to give him a hand with the plumbing real quick. I surrounded him with pillows on the one side and the dogs surrounded him on the other. Three minutes later, I heard a thump. I didn't hear a cry, but I knew. I ran through the house like a crazy person and my heart literally stopped when I reached my bedroom door and my baby was no longer where I'd left him. I ran to the other side (the side the dogs HAD been guarding) and saw Isaac lying on his belly, crying a terrified cry. I scooped him up and did my best to soothe him before I had to relinquish him to Daddy, who had more right to comfort him, since he didn't let him fall off the bed. And let me tell you, that was a hard moment, right there. I hurt my baby and therefore lost the right to comfort him. Let's just say that I will be building a brick wall on the perimeter of my bed before I leave Mr. Rolly alone again! Lesson learned. (Click.)
     Life event #3) Isaac has slept through the night for an entire week! And the people say Amen while the angels sing Hallelujah! (CLICK!!!!)
     Life event #4) Baby Boy has found his penis. (Disclaimer: this is NOT something I am trying to take a picture of.... just an everyday moment I'm noting, since it seems to be sooo very exciting to him!) I don't know if it's every little guy or just ours, but he seems to find his Winky just about every time we take his diaper off (and sometimes he goes on the hunt even while fully clothed...he's turning into quite the exhibitionist, I tell you).... but it's not just that he grabs himself, it's that he makes this weird monkey face and grunts while he does it. Never having had a baby boy before (nor a penis) I'm not sure if this is unusual or par for the course. Either way, it seems to be the highlight of Bear's life, so I take a MENTAL picture. (Click.)
     So maybe you're all thinking, sure, take time to note the cute baby's life events while your other two red-headed-step-children get neglected. And by all means, if you feel the urge, come on out to my house and take pictures of Taylor as she picks her nose for the 30th time that day, and honor the greatness that is Cameron forgetting to change his underwear....for a week. I won't stop you! As for me, I will be busy building brick walls on my bed and taping the baby's diaper on so he can't grab his junk in public.... but maybe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment